Re: Profile Drive issues (of course)

From: Terry Stewart <terry_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:38:46 +1300

Thanks for that feedback,

Would it be a break issue if the ProFile self-checks? It seems to do this successfully at almost every switch on. The stepper lever moves right around quickly (to track zero?) then moves smoothy step by step back to it's resting position. Similarly is this likely to occur if the HAL device(s) weren't reading the tracks properly? Speaking of these, are the HAL devices easy to identify? No one knows of an image I could use for reference do they?

The unit hasn't booted again successfully despite numerous attempts. The Lisa recoginises there is a ProFile attached as I can see it as an icon. However, if I try to run MacWorks XL 3.0 HD installation from a floppy it doesn't even get to first base. It comes up with an Error -95.

The ProFile sounds like it's trying to access the drive. Lights blink and the stepper lever sits at it's resting position and vibrates (buzzes) about three times...then just gives up with an error 83.

I checked the PSU for AC ripple. It's clean. There is a tiny amount on the 12v circuit but it's in the millivots range and I doubt if it would be having any effect.

Anyway I appreciate the comments. I do have a spare I/O board I could swap out to see if that makes a difference but I'm assuming the Lisa Self-Check would show any problems with the parallel port? That and the fact that it "sees" the ProFile is attached and tries to activate it suggest this part of the circult might be ok?

I'm wondering if trying to load Lisa Office onto the drive might be worthwhile. If the MacWorks disk can't setup the hard drive though, I can't see why the Office suite would be any more successful.

Terry (Tez)