Re: Who knows about the disk layout of the Lisa filesystems?

From: Shirl Casner <shirlgato_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:42:02 -0700

Tom,

Try the following person who I believe has done some work to determine the format of the Lisa file system:

   Natalia Portillo <claunia_at_email.domain.hidden>

From what I understand, there were basically 3 different versions of the Lisa FS which were used by the Lisa operating system. First was a flat FS with a linearly accessed catalog. Second was same flat FS but with hashed catalog. Third was hierarchically based for both catalog and data access. This last FS was later used as a model for the Mac HFS. The MDDF served as the anchor for the FS since it occupied a fixed point on the disk and contained pointers to the other key parts (e.g. catalog, data extents).

There was also a FS format which was used by the Lisa Monitor which served as the Lisa's OS while the real Lisa OS was being developed. The Monitor FS disk format was very similar to the UCSD Pascal disk format. This format is described in one of the Lisa's OS libraries. See page 7 of the attached desktop library interface listing.

Block tags are also important here. Special data structures had special tags. For example, I recall the boot blocks had tag file ID $AAAA. See page 28 in the boot ROM listing for label BOOTPAT. I assume the other FS structures had their own special tags too. It is good to see that the recent Twiggy disk images seem to contain the tag data.

===