Floppy reading at flux level, WAS: Re: Tips for making Twiggy images

From: Natalia Portillo <claunia_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 19:17:23 +0000

Hi Simon,

I'm a programmer, I need an electronics.

I'm quite sure that any ARM with analogue inputs can be easily converted in something better than Kryoflux.

The TI LaunchPad is an ARM microcontroller at 120Mhz with a whole lot of analogue inputs, a quite big flash for firmware (1Mb) and a big enough RAM to store tracks (256Kbyte).

It also comes with a pretty simple to code real-time OS and USB library, so storing fluxes via a host computer should be easy to do. Even it can be enhanced to store them directly on SD cards with a little more hardware.

And it costs $12.99.

My problem is, connecting the floppy drive bus to the LaunchPad inputs. I don't know if I need resistors, buffer, voltage level converters, etc. And even with all the needed discrete hardware, cost will be by my calculations, be far lower than Kryoflux, and easily instructable in a DIY manual.

But as I said, I'm just a programmer, I need an electronics pal to give me the BOM and diagrams to make it do magic.

Anyone here up to the challenge?

Regards,
Natalia Portillo