Re: bootable Diskcopy 4.2 image

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:09:49 -0500

SeanF wrote:
> Can someone send me a bootable lisa image made with Diskcopy 4.2? I
> have tons of DART images but not sure these are working and want to
> rule out a bad driver or I/O board (no disks will boot).

You can use lisafsh-tool to convert them. You can find it here: http://lisaem.sunder.net/downloads.html
To use it, open up Terminal (or a shell on linux) and invoke it like this:

echo "quit" | lisafsh-tool {path-to-the-dart-image}

This will create the same image with a .dc42 extension added on (will not strip the DART extension if one exists.)

If you have a lot of images you'd like to convert, you can do something like this (assuming bash):

for i in *.dart; do echo "quit" | lisafsh-tool $i; done

The windows command shell is a bit more primitive so the for loop won't work there, but you can convert each image manually.

Note that restoring DART images on some not so ancient mac's may create unreadable images when used on the Lisa. DiskCopy 4.2 has its own formatting code which generates the right number of sync bytes which the Lisa requires.

see: http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-media-floppy_dc42.html

You'll then need a classic Mac that has a working GCR capable floppy drive. Personally I've had good luck with IIsi, IIcx, 7100, TAM, Powerbooks.

Some of the later models with floppies will not format in GCR. You'll know if you insert a DS/DD floppy and there's no 800K option - only a 720K option. Received on 2007-02-06 10:09:50