Question on the "formatter" Z chip

From: Terry Stewart <terry_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 21:40:18 +1200

Hi everyone,

After a few years hiatus, I'm thinking I might have another crack at getting my 10MB Profile up and running. It seems a shame to have a working Lisa 2 without the thing that made it somewhat useful.

I want to low-level format the Profile 10MB drive with BLU. From memory (and from reading old postings) it seems I need the "formatter" EPROM on top of a Z chip. NeXT suggested the one in my (also non-working) 10MB Widget drive. It's there, but after I noted it I got busy and that's where I left the project.

The question is (assuming the EPROM is still viable), can I just drop this Z-chip with it's piggy-backed EPROM into the Z-chip socket on my 10MB Profile and expect it to work? Does anyone know?

To assist I've uploaded two images. The image under the first link shows the Z-chip on the widget. The second image shows the equivalent Z-chip on the Profile 10MB board. The numbers are different. Would they be compatible though..or not?

http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/images/2016-04-11-Z-chip-on-widget.jpg http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/images/2016-04-11-Z-chip-on-10MB-profile.jpg

Any comments most welcome. I don't want to blow anything up!

Terry (Tezza)