RE: What doesn't work: greyscale in software :-)

From: Ray Arachelian <ray.arachelian_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 15:34:20 -0400

Try tying it to the STATREG register to get the vertical refresh irq edge transition and then use exactly coded opcodes to bit bang the contrast output. Look at the serial number decode in the room source.

(I'm not sure anyone was wondering about this, and I probably could have figured it out by looking over the schematics or the system documentation and thinking carefully about timing. It was easy to write a tiny assembly program and just give it a go, however.) Anyway: I was not able achieve a useful greyscale effect on the Lisa's display by changing the values in the video contrast register as fast as I could. I could cause different scanlines on the display to appear in different shades, with some (but not a whole lot of) control over how it looked. But I wasn't able to get the intensity of scan lines to change in mid-flight across the screen, at least not that I could tell. It was still fun to experiment. If you'd like to try playing with it yourself, you might find the CONSET2 routine in the Lisa Boot ROM listing on Bitsavers to be instructive. I recommend strongly against it if you or anyone around your Lisa has photosensitive epilepsy, however. You can very easily make the screen flash at frequencies that could be dangerous. It would be interesting to hear from knowledgeable folks if they think I'm wrong in concluding that changing the beam intensity "mid-flight" is not really possible.
--Tom

You received this message because you are a member of the LisaList group. The group FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/lisa.html To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To leave this group, send email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist