Re: What's the best way to clean up a battery leak?

From: Highcountryrider <highcountryrider_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:48:51 -0800

The fact that your machine powers up is a little encouraging, but you have
a bad situation here. My Lisa had this problems and I was never able to resurrect
the I/O board. I did get the motherboard partially working before I got a good
deal on a replacement. I had to solder wires around many of the land patterns;
they appeared to be open underneath the connectors. I got the machine to boot,
but the parallel connector didn't yet work.

I'd follow the instructions on the web pages with the I/O board and the motherboard.
(Remove the motherboard from the metal chassis first.) You can use a toothbrush to
help remove the green guck. On my Lisa, the worst damage was to the circuits that
had power when the Lisa was turned off: +5 volt standby power and some circuits
in the I/O board. Due to electrolysis no doubt. The other boards and the power supply
were unaffected.

I'd like to add, though, don't be afraid to use lots of water. The vinegar is a good idea
to stop the activity of the battery goo, but be sure to rinse thoroughly. You can use a
hair dryer on low to dry the boards, just be careful not to overheat any components;
keep moving. Make real sure the boards are dry before applying power.

Good luck!

Bill.

On Feb 7, 2008, at 8:10 AM, Ray Arachelian wrote:

byestan wrote:
> I haven't powered my Lisa up in about 5 years. I went to power it up
> just now and the screen would come up but it would just be garbage. I
> opened up the back and the backup batteries have leaked. What's the
> best way to clean this up? Is the card toast or is it salvagable?

It's probably toast, but you might be able to fix it depending on what's been broken.
see: http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-io_batteries.html

"What I don't know I will no longer allow to intimidate me. I will instead view it as an opportunity." - Max Lucado

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---