Re: Lisa 1 on Ebay

From: chandra bajpai <cbajpai_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:32:30 -0500

What make a Lisa-1 interesting, especially for me is the lineage. The Lisa is a direct discendant of the fabled Xerox Alto. Larry Tesler and team left Apple to build the first widely available GUI machine with integrated applications, multitasking, 32-bit OS etc. IMHO Lisa was ahead of it's time.

Lisa-1's are very rare unlike Lisa-2's....the reason is that at that time ~1983? Apple required users to return the twiggy drives in order to get a refund on the free upgrade. I can't remember how much the upgrade was, but it was pretty expensive...so 99% of users returned the drives. At last count I heard there are less than 50 Lisa-1's around. Is a Lisa-1 worth $12k? Is a Apple-1 worth $40k? Is an Altair worth $3k? Is a Xerox Alto
>$100k?

-Chandra