Re: Another Lisa 1 on Ebay

From: chandra bajpai <cbajpai_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:28:07 -0400

The last number I heard was estimated to be less than 50.

The reason for the rarity is that Apple charge the dealer a hefty amount for the Lisa1 to Lisa2 conversion kit.
And if you didn't return the twiggy drives, you didn't get credited that amount....so as you can guess most got returned.

I recently found out the backstory on my Lisa-1. It turns out that my Lisa-1 was delivered to a missile testing range in South Africa. After some time as a Lisa-1, the unit was converted. But between the time it was converted and the parts returned -- Apple pulled out of South Africa in 1985. Therefore the tech who did the conversion kept both sets of parts in his barn for 20+ years. He also gave me probably the last NOS Lisa CRT.

-Chandra