Re: lisa 2 keyboard

From: Jason Perkins <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:18:21 -0400

Because the lisa keyboard uses biodegradeable foam in the switch elements I would never, ever want to get it wet. Your best bet is to just take it apart and clean / diagnose it.

The lisa faq has a nice section on this.

-jason

On Jul 19, 2010 8:01 PM, "Chris M" <chrism3667_at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:

what exactly do you mean by "bad"? Non operational seems obvious enough. Is it "springy"? It might just need cleaning. Generally most will recommend a tear down, but I have been successful cleaning keyboards (where the problem was obviously dirty keys) throwing the whole shebang in a tub of hot soapy water w/ammonia. Say 3 or 4 gallons of soapy water (using laundry soap) w/say 1/3 of a 2 quart bottle of ammonia dumped in. Works very well. You'll want to let it soak for an hour or two, then pull the k/b out (or leave it submerged) and RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT across all the keys. Loosens crud and whatnot.
 You'll probably want to take the circuit board out by simply unscrewing the screws that hold the case together. I'd give more detailed direction, but I won't have my Lisa k/b in hand until the weekend.  Oh, a cool water rinse job should be the 2nd step. Followed by a VERY THOROUGH drying job. Leave it in a bay window for an hour or 2 say, but don't let the sun beat down on it too hard. I left mine in front of the A/C for an hour or two. Leave it to dry overnight just to be sure.