XENIX Question

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 18:00:38 -0700 (PDT)

Is anyone on the list familiar enough with Xenix to tell me how it sets up a Profile volume? I'm trying to copy a working Xenix system (from a kind third-party) from a 5MB volume on my X/Profile to a "real" 5MB unit. The simple approach did not work:

# cp /dev/pf0 /dev/pf2

It chugged away quite a while and moved a lot of data. However, the target volume throws an error when I attempt to boot it. I'm guessing that "/dev/pf0" represents an internal partition and shares space with swap and boot blocks. I have been over all the manuals and cannot find any mention of procedures for setting up swap space and writing boot blocks. The information for this is probably buried in a shell script on the install/boot diskette, but something appears wrong with the image from bitsavers.

Attempts to install from the boot diskette all complain that fd1 is write-protected. Interestingly enough, I get the same error when trying to mount the boot diskette from a running Xenix hard-disk image! As a WAG, I'm thinking that a working Xenix boot/install diskette is actually partitioned and is intended to have a tiny swap area on it? Really grasping at straws here. If someone has a working install/boot diskette I would love to get my hands on an image.

Steve