Re: Fwd: Transporting a Profile Drive

From: Terry Stewart <terry_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:49:51 +1300

> Again, I have never been successful (nor do I think anyone has) in
> replacing the 10M mechanism. If the Z8 microcontroller is a
> "piggyback" ROM version, you can replace the firmware with the 5M
> EPROM and format an ST412 to 5MB (wasting every other track). I've
> ressurrected a couple of 5M drives, so I know it works. If the Z8 is
> a masked-ROM variant, pickup a piggyback version on eBay and give a
> yell. Someone may know where the software is.

Thanks. Just to make absolutely sure I understand what you're saying. When you say "Format an ST415" you mean just a regular 10MB ST415 right? As you say, every second track would be wasted but ..no worries.

> Until recently, it possible to low-level format only on an Apple ///,
> but Al Kossow put a bunch of new software on bitsavers that includes
> (I think) the Lisa-based formatter. I have no experience with this,
> so you'll be blazing new territory :-).

New territory. Now that would be something (-:

I had a look around bitsavers but the software you speak of wasn't obvious (I do have a Widget I could try this on too, if I found such software). One thing I'm still not sure about. If a standard ST415 was used as above with the "trick" of formatting every second track so you have a 5MB drive, is it necessary for this (conventional) drive to be low level formatted in an Apple III (or Lisa). Or can it be done in a PC?

Cheers

Terry (Tez)