Re: Transporting a Profile Drive

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 04:37:53 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 12, 7:28 am, "Helmut Dr. Post" <helmut_p..._at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:
> Some interesting points to mention here:
>
> The only difference between the Apple,version and the PC ST412 is the different stepper motor.
> There is no special Apple version....

I'd consider a drive with a different stepper motor to be a different version (and indeed, it carries a different MLC #), but I take your point.

> > >From experience, you cannot replace the drive in a 10M Profile with a
> > >regular ST412 - it will slam itself into the limit for about half the
> > >formatting run as it runs out of tracks.
>
> But you can replace the PC style stepper motor with  the "Apple HD" stepper motor - I have done this many times in a clean room.

<sigh>.. I work at one of the largest semiconductor manufacturing sites in the eastern US, but would get fired in a second for taking something as relatively "dirty" as a Seagate mechanism into a clean room.

> I have done the replacement many times and I now  have some experience to perform this  "stepper motor transplant" to
> change a PC ST412 mechanism into an fully functional Apple ST 412.

Can you describe the process a bit? I may try doing this at home just for laughs. Not a lot to lose since the ProFile mechanism is dead and I have no other application for the Seagate. In the middle of January, there's not a lot of dust in the air outside, so maybe I'll wait for a sunny day and do it on the back porch :-).