Corrosion abatement

From: Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:07:10 -0800 (PST)

I've decided that this is the weekend to address the battery corrosion on my I/O board, and I thought I'd ask for some advice.

While it isn't causing any apparent problems (i.e. the computer still appears to work), it's my understanding that it's necessary to address the corrosion now before things get worse.

I've seen a number of methods described for dealing with the corrosion, and one that's attractive to me is simply immersing the board in a slightly acidic solution (vinegar in distilled water, for example) for a while. I am wary of attempting to clear off corrosion via mechanical means, since I'm afraid of rubbing off traces or breaking leads. I am patient, so if a prolonged immersion is likely to neutralize the basic material that is causing the corrosion, I'm OK to go with that. I don't really care about restoring the cosmetic appearance of the board, but I *definitely* don't want to damage it, and I don't want the corrosion to continue.

I'd love to have some advice from people who have done this before. In particular, my questions are:

  1. Should I bother? The thing works right now---is the corrosion really likely to spread if I do nothing?
  2. Is immersion effective, or should I try some other process?

(Assuming the answer to 2 is that immersion is OK, then these questions:)

3. Are there any parts of the board that I must not immerse? (The paper sticker over the I/O board ROM would probably not fare well.)

4. Should I pre-rinse the boards? They're pretty dusty.

5. How dilute should the vinegar solution be?

6. How long should I immerse the boards?

7. Should I rinse the boards after immersion?

8. How long should I allow the boards to dry?

9. Are there other precautions I should take before I try to use the boards again?

I've attached a photo that shows the rough extent of the corrosion on the component side of the board. Full resolution image is available on request.

Thanks so much for any advice that you can offer.

--Tom