Re: "Lisa" mice

From: Shirl Casner <shirlgato_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:43:30 -0600

Guten Tag Herr Tom von Bayern,

APPLE LISA MOUSE ... Thank you for your comments about Apple mouse patent # 4,464,652 dated August 7, 1984. The 1984 date was when the patent was approved by the US Patent Office. This patent was FILED on July 19, 1982. It always takes a long time for patents to be approved. As such, the 1982 filing pre-dates the Apple Macintosh's introduction in January 1984.

It is my understanding that the mouse was part of the Lisa system early in its development and when the Lisa was released in January 1983 the mouse was part of the Lisa system. The very early pre-GUI Lisa project circa 1980 which was headed by Ken Rothmuller included a mouse but also used function keys on the keyboard. See the Lisa Marketing Requirements Document (MRD) from 1980 for a description of the original Lisa -- page 20 discusses the "pointing device". Apple's internal Lisa user interface standards from 1980 also talks about the mouse -- see page 2.

I have not heard before that the mouse was sold separately from the Lisa system in either the USA or Europe. The Lisa Product Introduction Plan (PIP) which Apple created for the Lisa's January 1983 introduction has many references to the mouse and several system drawings include the mouse. I find it hard to believe that Apple would sell the Lisa without the mouse which was a core component of the Lisa computer-human interface (CHI).

APPLE LISA DUMP IN UTAH, USA ... Newspaper article dated September 24, 1989 describes the burial of around 2,700 Lisa systems in the Logan, Utah, USA landfill by Sun Remarketing. Article attached.

APPLE LISA MRD ... Concerning the Lisa MRD, it references on page 2 several very early Lisa planning documents which I think would be really interesting to see. So, if you have a copy of these, please let me know (I suspect only the original Lisa design and marketing team members would have these memos, suspect Apple itself may not):

o Lisa Proposal # 1 -- October 1978
o Review of Lisa Objectives -- February 1979

Tschuess,
David Craig

===