Re: Daisy Wheel Printer repairs

From: Jason Perkins <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 14:50:04 -0400

After some more test printing I discovered another problem.. the hammer was sticking. Upon taking it apart I found the spring inside was broken. The parts printer gave up some more useful pieces: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dlVgHJDZRrQ/VaFhv-igA1I/AAAAAAAAHtU/61dbeC4oGUg/s576-Ic42/IMG_20150709_223358.jpg

As noted in the Lisa FAQ, the default dip switch settings on the DMP are not correct for use with the Lisa. The default setting is space parity, no modem, ETX/ACK & DTR handshake, 1200 baud. The printer needs to be changed to 9600 baud. This is set on dip switch 1, the top of the printer must be removed to access it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120418205712/http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-prn_daisy_dips.html

Another discovery I made: The printwheels are very fragile. Several of the pins on my Prestige Elite 12 wheel are slightly bent, possibly from the sticking hammer issue I noticed earlier. This leads to misaligned characters.

PS: Here's a comparison between the Apple printwheel and the Qume / Xerox Diablo printwheels:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FzQ4-IYhmzU/VaFhvy7dqaI/AAAAAAAAHtc/UDvPigO-2WY/s640-Ic42/IMG_20150709_223849.jpg https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7q7H5SE3cZo/VaFhvw2aA2I/AAAAAAAAHtU/heZ3BAyJ3k4/s1024-Ic42/IMG_20150709_223747.jpg

And yes, the DWP can produce graphics. There is a metal pin on the printwheel used for this. It's quite slow, but does work. I'll make a video of this later.

Thanks,

-J

--
Jason Perkins