MacWorks Plus II and FloppyEmu compatibility notes

From: James Denton <busterswt_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 10:56:53 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

Just a heads up to Lisa 2/5 owners who may be considering or have a MW+ II and FloppyEmu:

I recently picked up a MacWorks Plus II Pro kit from John at VintageMicros, which included the PFG, guide, disks, etc. The kit is excellent, by the way, and John has been a great resource for all things Lisa.

Got that bad boy installed in my Lisa 2/5 with no issues, but found that reading images from my FloppyEmu was extremely slow. It worked, eventually, so I couldn't really complain. Digging around on the Install disk, I found various control panels that could be installed, including one to manage the Floppy controller. The settings are:

• Normal (PFG, off-track step)
• Aggressive (+ re-cal)
• Desperate (+ all-frequencies)
• Basic (As Stock Machine)

The default is Normal. I found that changing the setting to 'Basic' resulted in immediate improvements to the read speed of images off the FloppyEmu - I'm talking what took > 10 minutes took < 10 seconds sort of improvement. My Lisa still has the original 400k drive with Lisa Lite adapter, which also requires a bit older firmware for the FloppyEmu ( lisa-emu-1.0S7-F11).

Hope it helps someone.

James