Re: What Lisa 2/10 do I have?

From: Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 06:54:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi Maarten,

Congratulations on your Lisa 2. It's a fascinating piece of computing equipment that was both a glimpse of the future and an evolutionary dead-end. With the documents available today on bitsavers.org, it is easier than ever to discover the skill and dedication that went into every bit of the machine, in a way that's difficult with a lot of modern technology. At the same time, the early 1980s construction (all through-hole parts, relatively little component integration) makes it fairly simple to probe what's going on inside the system as it runs. I think that the satisfaction I get from tinkering with my Lisa now and then must be similar to what other people get out of maintaining old cars.

As for value, I'd say it's worth about as much as a stroll through a grassy meadow on a warm spring day, or the feeling of cheer you experience when remembering a funny story told by your best friend. Depending on prevailing exchange rates, of course---although anyone pricing their Lisa at the "laughter of children" level is probably being too ambitious!

(Side note: in my experience, most conversation on LisaList tends to be about how to use and preserve these unusual machines, and less about how much $$$$$ they can pick up on eBay...)

--Tom