Re: External Widget drive

From: Jason Perkins <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 08:32:42 -0400

Looking at the 1983 date on the complete one, I wondered if Apple was planning this as the replacement for the Profile as they changed all of their drives to ones made by their Disk Division... so it would be a service replacement for the Seagate Profiles going forward in Apple IIs, IIIs, and all the zillions Lisa's they were going to sell. Looks like it has the same footprint as the Unifile Twiggy drive, so they'd stack nicely beside the system.

I also wonder if Al's unit was made right before the HD20 / Nisha drive was ready. I imagine a Nisa would have been used in the revised Lisa.

Too rich for my blood too. I'm always suspicious of hard disks being sold without being powered up, more so with a Widget as it's easy to tell if it's a doorstop from the startup test.

It looks like Apple was using the spindle motor as a way to pump air through the enclosure... clever design! I wonder how hot those got with no extra cooling fan, PSU crammed against the the side of the drive...

-J

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 1:54 AM, tommoni <tommoni_at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:

> Hi Al,
>
> very interesting news.
> First: I won't bid on this, but another question to you and all LisaList
> Members:
> Was that prototype really develloped and designed for the Aplle Lisa II ?
> Until today, I thought it should be sold as an external storage for the
> Apple II and later for the Apple III, when the project finally was
> cancelled, short before the Macintosh (later called: Apple Mac 128k) has
> been released?
>
> Does anyone know more about that?
>
> greetings: Tom from Bavaria, the center of Europe, the Alps, the
> marvellous castles of Koenig Ludwig and last but not least: the original
> Octoberfest
>

> Am 13.06.2018 um 22:07 schrieb Al Kossow:
>
> Is anyone planning on going after this?
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/123182953303
>>
>> I had most of the parts for one, but didn't have a complete logic board.
>>
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/183228872487
>>
>> It's too expensive right now to just buy out of curiosity.
>>
>> I probably should have taken better pictures of the profile interface
>> board
>> while I had it.
>>

>> --
>> --
>> -----
>> /lisalist
>> ---
>> "LisaList" group.
>> email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_googlegroups.com.

> Groups "LisaList" group.

> email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_googlegroups.com.

Jason Perkins
313 355 0085