Re: Trouble with my Lisa 2/10

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 15:43:10 -0700

Hi Kevin,

Two beeps indicates "no memory", which is to say that the self test didn't find some reliable memory to use for the stack and/or display.

If you have no memory boards, you need one (or two).

If you have one memory board, try moving it to the other slot.

If you have two memory boards, swap them, and if the problem persists, try each one separately in each slot.

The fact that you hear two beeps indicates some things are working, eg. you don't get any beeps if the CPU isn't running, or the ROMs are bad/wrong, or the I/O board is missing, or the PSU is dead, etc.

The fact that you see something on the screen indicates the video board, CRT and flyback transformer are more or less working (probably). As Jason wrote, adjusting the brightness control (on the back of the power supply) may reveal something that wasn't evident before.

If the zig-zag pattern is a sort of checkerboard, then the memory is more or less working, if it is a single line at various angles, then the memory isn't responding to video access requests or the data isn't getting through to the video shift register etc.

When I have this problem with a Lisa that should work, it is almost always due to a poor/dirty edge contact.

Lisa problems due to capacitors tend to be power supply related.

Good luck!

James