Online Mac research

From: Dan Knight <dknight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 07:07:43 -0400

Wow, we're running 23 lists now.

Anyhow, that's not why I'm sending this. Someone was recently chastised on one of the lists for posting questions that had been discussed recently on the list and net checking the FAQ, so it's time to discuss resources.

  1. These lists are great. Keep them handy. (I even export old digests to FileMaker Pro on the off chance I need to do some archival research.)
  2. The lists are currently archived, starting about August 2 (except for Quadlist and PowerBooks, which had to be reconstructed mid-month). You can choose the appropriate list at <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/> and search the archive. I'll add a line to the footer about this.
  3. Dan from DealMac called Low End Mac "the definitive resource for older Macs." I like that; it was exactly my goal when launching the site. It's a good first place to look on the Web for information -- not because I know everything, but because I also have lots of links to other excellent resources on the Web.
  4. If you can't find it in the hardware profiles on LEM, it may be in a tech article or somewhere else. The best bet is to use the PicoSearch engine to look for information on the site.
  5. Sherlock 1 was a great tool for finding almost anything on the Web. I've been less impressed with the way Sherlock 2 "bundles" the sites it searches.
  6. I'm more and more drawn to Google as my search engine of choice. I'm still a fan of Excite and AltaVista, but rarely need to use anything but Google to find what I'm looking for.
  7. Of course, there are the other excellent Mac sites that specialize in troubleshooting and upgrades:

MacFixIt <http://www.macfixit.com/>
MacInTouch <http://www.macintouch.com/>
Accelerate Your Mac <http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/>

This is a pretty broad group of sites. I'm sure there are other resources list members can recommend that better fit the focus of each individual list. Please feel free to share them here. I'll try to compile "best links" lists for each list FAQ.

Thanks!

Dan Knight                            dknight_at_email.domain.hidden
  publisher, Low End Mac             <http://lowendmac.com/>

  Macintosh: about 60 known viruses
  Windows: way over 20,000 known viruses   Your call....

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>