Update on mailing lists

From: Dan Knight <dknight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 08:40:40 -0400

Over the past two months, we've been through interesting times together on these two dozen lists. Some lists have crashed several times and been recreated -- losing some subscribers and sometimes the entire archive, also renumbering from #1 on digests at the same time.

MacLaunch serves the lists on Mac OS X Server with CommuniGate email software. That should be about as stable as things get, but MacLaunch did find a "memory leak" on their old server. (A memory leak is when a program keeps growing and growing, taking more memory the longer it runs.)

MacLaunch has been working on moving everything to the new server, which probably accounts for the duplicate postings and digests -- starting up the new server might have caused a digest to be recreated slightly after the first one.

We're hoping (with fingers crossed) that all that is now behind us.

If you have been dropped from a list through this process, please go to
<http://lowendmac.com/lists/> and follow the link to the list you wish to
rejoin.

If you have any problems resubscribing, changing mode (BTW, what they call "feed" is single message mode), or getting removed from any of our lists, please email me at

<listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>

(If you email any other address, it may take longer -- possibly a lot longer -- for me to read and respond to your request.)

As always, please be sure to mention which list you're talking about. With two-dozen lists, I have no easy way of figuring that out otherwise.

Thanks again for your patience -- and be excellent to each other.

Dan Knight                                  dknight_at_email.domain.hidden
 publisher, Low End Mac                    <http://lowendmac.com/>

 Unix for stability. Macs for productivity. Windows for solitaire.

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Host your mailing list for free at Maclaunch http://www.maclaunch.com/forms/list.shtml - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.  Send list messages to <lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden>  To unsubscribe, send email to: <lisalist-off_at_email.domain.hidden>  To switch to digest mode, send email to <lisalist-digest_at_email.domain.hidden>  Email subscription questions to <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>  List archive at <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/> Received on 2000-10-01 05:46:09