Warning: AOL 6

From: Dan Knight <dknight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:25:34 -0500

There's been an interesting discussion on the Macjordomo list today (Macjordomo is the list server I used to use for these lists -- and still use at work).

A lot of list managers set the lists to text only -- no attachments, no styled text. It not only prevents the spread of viruses and keeps the size of messages down, it also makes sure digest subscribers see the same thing as those who receive individual messages.

AOL has thrown a real wrench in the works: if you use AOL 6 (Windows only at this point, as far as I know), there is simply no way to use it to send plain text email. I and other list managers hope they'll fix that in the future, but for now we're sending out a warning *not* to upgrade to AOL 6. If you do, you won't be able to post using AOL's email client.

If you've already made the upgrade, your choices are moving back to AOL 5 or switching to a non-AOL email account, something like mail.maclaunch.com, mac.com, hotmail, etc.

Dan Knight                                  dknight_at_email.domain.hidden
 publisher, Low End Mac                    <http://lowendmac.com/>

 Unix for stability. Macs for productivity. Windows for solitaire.

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \