Bounces, warning messages, lost subscriptions

From: Dan Knight <dknight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:53:50 -0500

Jake <RaceCivicR_at_email.domain.hidden> wrote to Quadlist:

>Is it just me or are others getting this bouncing thing as well. For some
>reason i keep getting this warning saying a message was bounced or
>something.
>Also im missing alot of the e-mails from the list. What the hell is going
>on?
>Am i just tripping or is there something wrong?

and Eric Carlson <ecarlson3_at_email.domain.hidden> replied:

>I have had the same problem. For like the last two weeks, I have gotten at
>least one bounced message a day from the Quadlist server. I would like to
>get to the bottom of this.

Y'all are using two of the most unreliable email providers in existence.

AOL's mail servers are often overwhelmed. As a IS Manager and Email Administrator, I can watch message leave my mail server at work. Most are out like that, but it can take repeated tries over several hours to deliver messages to AOL. Especially considering the level of spam of the past few weeks, server congestion may be preventing messages from getting through.

@home is a whole different situation. Hardly a week goes by that we don't read on the Web about another @home mail server outage. It's almost predictable -- and that's pathetic.

I am an AT&T_at_home user; I do not use their email. I suggest you look into one of the multitude of free email services out there: Hotmail, MacLaunch, JMUG.org, etc. It may be a way to avoid missing email from this list and who knows who else.

That said, the lists are not set to unsubscribe anyone permanently until there have been 20 different instances of bounced messages (full mailbox, service down, whatever). Each bounce results in a six hour temporary suspension from the list, giving you a chance to empty your mailbox or your ISP a chance to fix the problem. It takes a minimum of five days (6 hours x 20) before you will be dropped from the list. At that point you'll need to resubscribe.

At that point you really should consider a more reliable email service.

Dan the listmom

Dan Knight                                  dknight_at_email.domain.hidden
 publisher, Low End Mac                    <http://lowendmac.com/>

 Unix for stability. Macs for productivity. Windows for solitaire.

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>