Notes on list archives

From: Dan Knight <dknight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 08:51:23 -0400

chris burgess posted this to Quadlist:

>> And speaking of the list archive, it's
>> self-cleaning, so the oldest postings are cleared out to make way for new
>> ones. It's not a permanent archive.
>
>can we make it a permanent archive? if not, i wonder if we can get it
>archived somewhere that will store all the messages then?
>
>no disrespect to maclaunch.com or lowendmac.net for the excellent job
>they do supporting and hosting these excellent lists, but complete
>archives are much more useful than partial ones for people searching for
>the answers to their frequently asked questions.

Yes, I agree, but the folks at MacLaunch are being more than generous. The typical user account gets 3 MB of storage space -- they've given me 50 MB for all my lists, which means a maximum of 2.3 MB for the busiest list.

Here are the oldest postings on some of the busy lists:

1st Power Macs      2001:04:16
Compact Macs        2001:05:17
G-Books             2001:05:01
G-List              2001:06:01
iMac                2001:04:21
LEM Swap            2001:06:08
PCI Power Macs      2001:05:28
PowerBooks          2001:05:01
Quadlist            2001:05:27
SuperMacs           2001:05:24
Vintage Macs        2001:05:27

I'll be using these numbers to adjust archive sizes a bit larger on some lists and a bit smaller on others -- a bit more space for archives that don't go back to mid-May, a bit less for those that go back past mid-May.

FWIW, I've found iCab and Opera are much faster for viewing the archives than IE or Netscape.

Dan the listmom

Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.

  publisher, Low End Mac                <http://lowendmac.com/>
  publisher, Digital-Views.com      <http://digital-views.com/>
  publisher, Digigraphica            <http://digigraphica.com/>

  Life is too short to use anything but a Mac. -- Roger Ebert