Re: Installing Lisa Office applications on Profile?

From: Shirl <shirlgato_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:33:42 -0700

Hi Chris,

> Does anyone on the list remember the technique for installing Lisa
> Office apps on the HD so you don't need to continue to insert
> floppies?

Hope all is going well with you these days.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. My understanding is Lisa applications were serialized to a specific machine (i.e. the first machine you copied the application from floppy to hard drive, the Office System wrote the machine's serial number into the application executable on the floppy). You could then still use the application on the floppy in other machines but you could not copy the application from the floppy to these other machines. The serialized floppy application was then called a "master".

I wrote a note about how to "de-serialize" Lisa applications which may be the answer you're wanting.

http://mo5tape.no-ip.org/Sites/Lisa/docs/techdocs/deserializinglisaos.html