Re: Format a Widget with an apple III

From: macmoni <macmoni_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:29:08 +0200

Hi,

the first question at last:
> I read that the ProFile could be low leveled with an Apple III and
> some software.
... and an adapter card !
> Could you do the same with the Widget disk or is it's command set
> different?
It is possible. But it will be easier to simply change only the Drivecompartment itself (housing with motor, R/W Head and the magnetic disc) without the Boards. They are identical. There were only be used 2 Types
> Reason being I've got a Widget that's had it's magentic half life..
> and Sun Rem. doesn't serivce them anymore.
There are two possible ways to solve the problem. Usually only track 0 will be out of order. With a little "work" you can try to disadjust the R/W Head so much, that your "new" track 0 will be beside the old one. You now will have to format the drive new (with an Apple III and...) and that's all.
I would wonder, if all of the whole magnetic surface of the disk would be non-usable

> Oh, and the 3 pots on the Widget motherboard, what do they do?
Depends of what three you mean :-)
There are several adjustents. I check that, if you tell me the Board-Number, or give us all a link of a picture with the board. If I remember right (assume I don't after all this long time and I don't deal with this board every day) then one is for the spin velocity (please remember I'm from europe and don't know the exact english expressions; my english is good enough - I hope; but my technical english is definite not - I know) an other is for adjusting time delay for a sweep oscillator and the third one I don't remember. i have to take a short look at my boards in near future :-)

greetings TOM from Bavaria, the center of europe, the country with the marvellous castles of Koenig Ludwig and the original Octoberfest in munich...
... and last but not least the country of Pope Benedict