Re: Motherboard/CPU

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:33:46 -0400

It is a very good idea to remove the power cord before disassembling the Lisa as it's always turned on even when it looks off.

Assuming you're facing the back of the Lisa and have turned the two metal knobs and removed the back cover, the board on the bottom is called the mother board. To the right, you'll see the power supply module along with the brightness and vertical (I think) controls.

The motherboard, along with all the cards it contains, just slides out forward twoards you. Once it's out, there are 3 or 4 boards inside it on the right hand side. The I/O board is the one directly facing you, the CPU board is next, followed by one or two memory cards. They have clips at the top at the left and right, which you can undo on to take the card out by pulling them upwards. The clips are color coded on one side and there are matching marks on the card cage to let you know what card goes into which slot.

On the left side, there are three expansion slots which could contain various I/O cards - most commonly a dual parallel card, though other devices have been known to exist, such as a 4 port serial card, a SCSI card (compatible only with MacWorks, and so on.) These just slide forward once you undo the yellow tab at the bottom, I believe you have to pull and twist the yellow/metal clip thing at the bottom clockwise (maybe) which opens up the slot enough to let you slide the card out towards you - not up!

You should not have to remove any screws other than what is necessary to unlock the motherboard. The Lisa's designed to be user maintainable.

This is what an empty motherboard looks like: http://lisa.sunder.net/lisa-img/mb1.html and http://lisa.sunder.net/lisa-img/mb2.html

Here's what the CPU board looks like:
http://lisa.sunder.net/lisa-img/cpu.html and the I/O board: http://lisa.sunder.net/lisa-img/io.html

If you see a battery pack to the lower left of the I/O board, you should remove this - just clip the tabs carefully off. This is a great source of trouble - these NiCAD packs tend to leak, and when they do, they'll corrode both the I/O board and the motherboard, destroying your Lisa.

These batteries are used to provide backup to the equivalent of the PRAM settings, however the Lisa will function just fine without them - it won't be able to keep the date and time, but since the Lisa's clock has a range from 1980-1995, it's useless anyway.