Profile 5MB Low Level Format success

From: Blair Aakre <baakre_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:46:24 -0500

I finally managed to get everything I needed together to perform a low-level format on my 5MB profile hard disks. Got the formatter ROM, got the utility, got the III, etc. I was able to resurrect a pair of profiles that previously refused to even do a surface scan. Yea!

However, I don't appear to have the correct version of the FST utility, so I didn't run that (the piece that takes 48 hours). I suspect that may not be strictly necessary, as I was able to reformat both profiles and install MacWorks on them without a hitch. I also copied enough data over to the hard drive to fill it up, and didn't seem to come across any bad areas of the disk. So, maybe I got lucky.

I guess if there is anyone close to the twin cities in Minnesota who has a 5MB profile they need to resurrect, I could probably help them out.

Now, if only I could do the 10MB versions..... (I actually tried using the 5MB utility. The format utility actually runs and says the unit passes, however, after attempting the LLF, the surface scan now goes very quick and attempting to access the drive to install LOS or Macworks causes it to cycle through the surface scan again and again.)

-Blair

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en