General Category > LisaList2

Built my first Cameo Aphid. Could use some help

<< < (3/3)

stepleton:
Good luck! If this doesn't turn up anything useful, then the next troubleshooting steps I might recommend will probably involve trying to exercise each pin on the Cameo board itself, seeing if it's really doing the bidirectional level adapting that it's meant to do.

Verault:
I went over the whole thing. No shorts. I even made a new cable because I wanted to ensure it was getting the best fit.

As far as the LEDS behaving differently when I tell it to boot from the upper or lower port. No, no change in the leds on the cameo.

I also just want to ask again. The github says there should be a fast partition accessible on the SD card but after imaging mine both times there is not a far partition. Shouldnt there be?

stepleton:

--- Quote ---I also just want to ask again. The github says there should be a fast partition accessible on the SD card but after imaging mine both times there is not a far partition. Shouldnt there be?
--- End quote ---

Please see the bottom of this message that I wrote earlier. I strongly suspect that the partition is present (otherwise Cameo/Aphid would not show the pattern of lights that you see), but also that Windows is probably not assigning the partition a drive letter and not mounting it automatically.

As I don't have a Windows 7 computer, I'm not sure how to tell Windows 7 how to do this, however based on a web search it looks like a procedure similar to the one I described for Windows 10 might work. There is surely a correct procedure, I just don't know what it is.

Alternatively, if you have access to a macOS or Linux computer, you might see if the partition is visible on those machines.

I don't know why it's necessary to intervene to get Windows to mount the partition. I suspect that most SD cards that Windows encounters don't have multiple partitions, and certainly not in the way the Cameo/Aphid SD card has to be partitioned.

--- Quote ---I went over the whole thing. No shorts.
--- End quote ---

The good news is that now we know that the cable is almost certainly not the problem. Let's focus on the Cameo board next.

It's good that you have eliminated shorts. (I assume that by "whole thing" you mean that you have confirmed no shorts on the Cameo board AND the cable.) What we must do now is establish continuity on the Cameo board --- we need to confirm that each leg of the two ICs has a connection to where it needs to go. Your soldering job looks very good, but looks can be deceiving.

I have thoughts about how to do the next troubleshooting steps, but in order to give the best advice, I need to know what equipment you have available. It seems certain that you have a multimeter, and we probably won't need much more than that to make progress. But we can make progress faster with some additional tools. Do you have:

- A solderless breadboard?
- "Dupont" jumper wires --- that is, wires with ordinary "header" ends? (Ideally, you'll have two types: (a) wires with a "plug" end and a "socket" end, and (b) wires with two "plug" ends.)
- An oscilloscope?
- A logic analyser?

Don't worry if you don't have an oscilloscope or a logic analyser --- but if you do and you know how to use them, it would be very good to know that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version