LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Profile 5 problem  (Read 2773 times)

paule

Weird Profile 5 problem
« on: February 23, 2023, 04:13:34 am »

This one has me quite puzzled. I have a 5 MB profile that suffered damage during shipping - the case bottom was broken badly but I had no idea if it had caused any harm to the electronics or mechanism. So I obtained a new bottom case, disassembled and cleaned the internals and started to reassemble. Before complete assembly, I checked the drive by powering it on. It seemed to startup just fine, stepping through each track and ending with a steady LED on. Great!

The I reassembled the drive and turned it on again. This time, not good. I could hear the head stepping out to track 0, to the midpoint, and back a couple of times, then parking and settling with the LED off.  :( So I disassembled the drive again, checked all the connections, and turned it on again. Worked fine - hooray. Reassembled, then test again and no joy! After some trial and error it seems that when the outer screws holding the drive to the case bottom are not in, the drive starts up fine. When the screws are in, it fails. WTH? This is almost 100% repeatable 4 or 5 times (one time after reassembly, the drive turned on ok, but the next time I turned it on it didn't).

Anyone seen anything like this or could hazard some guesses?

patrick

• Patrick's Hardware Page
Re: Weird Profile 5 problem
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 12:19:11 pm »

Try bending the analog board slightly. Maybe some track got a micro-crack when the drive was dropped. Mounting the drive puts some force on the board that might open this crack.

Of course you have checked the screws, and they have the correct length...

paule

Re: Weird Profile 5 problem
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 06:20:38 am »

Well, the four screws are all the same, and when I look after screwing in the problem (back, outside) screw, it seems to be clear inside.

I agree your theory about some tiny crack is most plausible since I can't see any other cause. I'll take a careful look around the area of the back rear screw hole...
Pages: [1]   Go Up