LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from A New Lisa 2 Owner  (Read 3909 times)

JustG

Greetings from A New Lisa 2 Owner
« on: August 30, 2023, 04:32:31 pm »

Hello everyone!

I recently acquired a Lisa 2, of course missing the requisite original mouse.  From what I gather from the seller, the computer originally had an 5 meg profile drive that unfortunately was not part of the set.  I do have the keyboard and as far as I can tell, the computer is complete.  Upon trying to power up the computer, you can hear a chirping from what I would assume is the power supply.  I plan to dig into it this weekend to see what's what.  I've got a fair amount of experience working with old Macs where capacitor replacements are so common.

I've somewhat jumped the gun and ordered an X/proFile drive in anticipation of getting everything fixed and running.

Very glad to now be a part of this community, I've been lurking for the past few weeks trying to gleam as much information as I can.  Excellent resource! Looking forward to speaking further with everyone and *finger crossed* this computer won't put up too much of a fight!  I'll keep everyone posted as I make progress.

fri0701

Re: Greetings from A New Lisa 2 Owner
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 07:45:39 pm »

Welcome to the club! Please do keep us posted with your progress and questions.  :)

ried

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 10:27:49 am »

Welcome! Lisa 2 machines came with the same mouse as the original Macintosh 128K (M0100) and those are plentiful. It's only the Lisa 1 that came with the rarer A9M0050 mouse.

The exception would be Lisa 1 machines that were converted to Lisa 2/5 machines by an Apple authorized service provider. Those retained their original mice, as the mouse was not part of the upgrade kit.

Looking forward to hearing about your Lisa adventures  8)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:29:47 am by ried »

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 12:00:25 pm »

Assuming you have a Lisa 2/5, the first thing you need to check is for battery damage.  Open the rear cover and see if the batteries are still present on the lower right corner of the IO board.  Post photos if you can.   

stepleton

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 01:29:37 pm »

Welcome! Lisa 2 machines came with the same mouse as the original Macintosh 128K (M0100) and those are plentiful. It's only the Lisa 1 that came with the rarer A9M0050 mouse.

The exception would be Lisa 1 machines that were converted to Lisa 2/5 machines by an Apple authorized service provider. Those retained their original mice, as the mouse was not part of the upgrade kit.

Are you certain of this? I had thought that 2/10s came with the M0100 mouse, but that some 2/5s also had the clip-on mouse connector and therefore needed the 0050. Put differently, I don't think that all 2/5s with the clip-on mouse connector were for-sure Lisa 1s.

In any case, you can use M0100s as mentioned, but if you have the clip-on mouse connector, my recommendation is not to trim off the clips. Find some other way to adapt the M0100's D-shell to fit on the connector.

ried

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 12:21:45 am »

Put differently, I don't think that all 2/5s with the clip-on mouse connector were for-sure Lisa 1s.

Ah, very good point! It would be great to know how many Lisa 2/5s shipped with Lisa 1 motherboards that featured the clip-on mouse connector, and how many subsequently shipped without it.

JustG

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 12:18:20 pm »

Thanks for all of the great replies!  This Lisa was definitely converted so the mouse connector is the clip-on type, I have zero plans to make any permanent changes to the computer so no trimming of the mouse port!  I pulled out the power supply, realized that I'm missing the cover for it so added that to the list.  The battery has been removed and it looks like there have been some previous repairs.  After looking closely at the power supply I don't see any obvious signs of unhappy capacitors.

Hopefully these pictures are suitable, I can always take more if that's helpful to anyone.

In all honesty this computer makes me REALLY nervous.  The rarity of it and the fact that I really don't want to damage anything, I'm going to take these repairs very very slowly.

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 10:38:01 pm »

The battery has been removed...

The green stuff around the battery area indicates that corrosion is an issue. You need to neutralize the area so that corrosion does not continue to spread.

If you want this board to work again, you'll need to find/repair the broken traces.

After looking closely at the power supply I don't see any obvious signs of unhappy capacitors.

All of the original translucent yellow capacitors are at risk of cracking and exploding (making a mess, not destroying your neighbourhood).

Your pic shows a 0.1uF cap along the right side C2 that looks like one of those. C3 & C4 look like suspects as well. It appears C1 was already replaced.

Make sure you use appropriately safety-rated (X/Y) caps for those.
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up