LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello new member here  (Read 3503 times)

MrSmith

Hello new member here
« on: November 12, 2023, 07:38:20 am »

Hello new member here from Australia.

Long time Apple Lisa owner,  have been out of the hobby for a number of years.

I first bought a Lisa around 1996 when I was in high school, it was a Lisa 2/5, I can remember it was ether a H88 or HA8 system, running Finder around 5.3 with the original Lisa aspect ratio, the tall trash can desktop seemed to strange to the "normal" Macintosh systems at the time. In highschool we were mostly using old Apple II's and early Macintosh systems. at the time $150 seemed so much money for an old computer, especially for a high school student to afford. I suppose like many people of that time period the TV show Triumph of the Nerds sparked my interest in old Apple computers and computer history in general. I remember getting online and finding websites like the Oldcomputermuseum and the Apple Lisa SAQ, there was also the extensive Apple II website, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

At the time $150 would buy a Macintosh Classic or an SE, maybe even an SE/30.

I remember having to do several repairs on my first Lisa as the video board needed replacing and the Hard Drive was flaky, it would sometimes boot and sometimes not boot, at the time I was able to get all the parts to repair it from the local Apple Store as they still had many new old stock parts and were happy to give them away to get rid of them, from their upstairs parts store, warehouse.

Even at the time the early Apple systems were quite rare here in Australia, it took me many years to track down a Macintosh 128k, 512k and 512ke systems were relatively easy to find, Mac Pluses were a dime a dozen,

Just thought I would share a few memories and hoping to get back into the hobby and community more in the future,

fri0701

Re: Hello new member here
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 11:02:43 am »

Welcome! It's always great to hear other people's stories like this.  :)

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
Re: Hello new member here
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 02:53:40 pm »

I was able to get all the parts to repair it from the local Apple Store as they still had many new old stock parts and were happy to give them away to get rid of them

Very friendly down under... little chance of getting free parts from Apple Service around here!

(Moved topic to the main section as this is genuinely about Lisas, not about the forum itself.)
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up