LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LisaEm IPC error on M1 when booting from disk or floppy  (Read 2963 times)

Insanely Digital

• Lisa 2/10
    • Insanely Digital
LisaEm IPC error on M1 when booting from disk or floppy
« on: November 27, 2023, 03:47:07 pm »

Hi James,
I'm very grateful you're maintaining this essential piece of software. I was deeply saddened to hear about Ray's passing.

I have successfully compiled LisaEm from your Repo on Mac OS 14.1 on Apple Silicon. LisaEm boots just fine, but I get the following error message when choosing to boot the VM from either a Floppy of ProDrive:

Sorry, the emulation aborted due to a fatal error
Couldn't get IPC Table! Doh!
Stopped at cpu68k.c:cpu68k_makeipclist:1056 with code :21
LisaEM will now quit.

Do you have a build up-and-running? Have I done something wrong in the build from the source, or is my OS/Apple Silicon ahead of the curve right now?

Kind regards,
Kevin.
Lisa 2/10

jamesdenton

• Administrator
  • ArcaneByte
    • ArcaneByte
Re: LisaEm IPC error on M1 when booting from disk or floppy
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 07:31:18 pm »

Hey Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest, I hadn't tested complete operation on an M1 in a while, and also found myself coming up against the same error you found. I'll try compiling on an Intel machine to see if the behavior is the same. I suspect it will be.

NOTE: For readability, this topic has been split from the original.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 07:43:07 pm by jamesdenton »

jamesdenton

• Administrator
  • ArcaneByte
    • ArcaneByte
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 07:41:33 pm »

Hey Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest, I hadn't tested complete operation on an M1 in a while, and also found myself coming up against the same error you found. I'll try compiling on an Intel machine to see if the behavior is the same. I suspect it will be.

A quick followup to this:

ROMless mode appears to be broken. Even though I had a ROM image set in the prefs, it wasn't recognized and resulted in the IPC error. I removed the entry, quit and reopened LisaEm, set the path to the ROM image, quit and reopened LisaEm, and was then able to boot off a floppy image.

There are a lot of bugs like this hanging around. I am not sure what the benefit of ROMless mode is at this point, and haven't done an incredible amount of snooping to find out what the dependencies are (if any). I know Ray was implementing what he called "HLE" or "high level emulation" to implement workarounds and other efficiencies, but I'd probably rather see more "faithful" emulation at this point.

Would love to tackle the Prefs box and crash on quit bugs.

Insanely Digital

• Lisa 2/10
    • Insanely Digital
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 04:40:19 pm »

Hi James,

YES! It works. I also had the ROM image loaded, but after I cleared the Pref box, quit, set the ROM image again, quit and startup, it works great. :-)

Now I just need to get my real Lisa up and running (Power supply issue I think).

Kind regards,
Kevin
Lisa 2/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up