LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide to fully taking apart a Lisa?  (Read 2807 times)

andrew

• :)
    • Lisa themed website (under construction)
Guide to fully taking apart a Lisa?
« on: December 28, 2023, 09:28:50 pm »

After ages of procrastination, I've finally gotten around to fully taking apart my Lisa to clean out all the 40-year old gunk from various hard to reach places inside the chassis. I'm at the point where I've removed the CRT. I've already removed the card and drive cages, the power supply, and the front, back, top, and right panels.

I'd remove the left panel, but the CRT flyback transformer blocks the hole in the metal where one inserts a screwdriver to get that last center screw. So I can't proceed that way. There are still various sets of screws on the frame. I don't really know the optimal way to proceed, and I don't want to blindly start taking out screws I don't need to remove, or screws that should be removed after other parts are removed...

All of the guides and videos I've found only go as far as removing the CRT. Is there a guide, or video, or documentation somewhere that goes step by step into the process of taking apart the rest of the frame?

Really, I only need to take it apart enough to get into certain areas to clean things up. Mainly, this includes the recessed area that runs along the width of the machine beneath the back of the CRT and the drive cage, where the motherboard slots are and the flyback transformer sits, and I want to be able to wipe off the backs of the panels and any other grime or dirt I find on the metal. I also need to get to that area at the top rear of the machine, where the rear panel fasteners grip to, under the angled metal grill where there's some more grime on the flat surface near where you stick a screwdriver to remove the screws that hold the top panel in.

andrew

• :)
    • Lisa themed website (under construction)
Re: Guide to fully taking apart a Lisa?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 01:09:39 am »

Ok, so I was able to answer my own question. I forgot that iFixit, of all places, has a Lisa disassembly guide.

For the weary Googler coming across this post in the future, the trick was to take off the bottom plastic panel using the six screws under the card cage/power supply. There's a hole in the metal underneath, and I was able to stick a screwdriver through it to get out that last bottom-center screw for the left panel. From there, I unscrewed the power button assembly and removed the curved front-base/leg panel. All that's left now is the metal frame, which looks much simpler now that almost everything else is removed from it.

mactjaap

Re: Guide to fully taking apart a Lisa?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 07:51:45 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up