LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking to Purchase Lisa-1 Front Panel  (Read 5235 times)

byteshop

Seeking to Purchase Lisa-1 Front Panel
« on: January 06, 2024, 01:07:35 pm »

Hey all! I'm looking to purchase an original front panel for an Apple Lisa-1 system. I am prepared to pay a fair market value of several thousand dollars depending on condition. Please feel free to comment or send me a message if you have what I seek.

MrSmith

Re: Seeking to Purchase Lisa-1 Front Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 03:25:07 am »

Hi

Just a word of caution, these are being 3D printed and reproduced, be careful what you buy is original with such a large amount of money involved.

Over the last few months there has been two Lisa 1 front panels come up on ebay USA.

Good luck in your search.

ried

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 01:42:35 pm »

The Lisa 1 bezels that I've seen come up on eBay recently have either been reproductions (made by MacEffects, i.e. attached to this Lisa 1 chassis for sale) or scam listings. The scam listings always use this same bezel photo, and direct people to purchase outside of eBay:

These scam listings are posted by accounts that appear legitimate with strong feedback, but the accounts have been hijacked. The seller's login credentials have been leaked to the dark web and acquired by the scammer. Of course, when you go to that third-party website for purchase, they will gladly take your money and you'll never hear from them again - with no buyer protection or other way to recover your lost funds. The exact same tactic is often employed for Lisa 1 bezels, JLPGA PowerBooks, and other rare items on eBay. Stolen pictures, directing people to purchase offsite, etc.

As an aside, the MacEffects reproductions are quite good, but certainly not perfect. One easy tell is the LISA script, which deviates significantly from the original.

Reproduction Apple Lisa 1 bezel from MacEffects, as shown in their eBay listing linked above:

vs original bezels:

and

Aside from MacEffects, I do not know if anyone else that has manufactured high-quality reproductions. Maybe someone here does?

byteshop

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 09:50:26 pm »

Thanks for the helpful guide. I remain on a hunt for an original if someone has one to sell.

ried

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 10:05:37 pm »

Funny enough, here's a scam listing that employs the exact method I described above, using photos from the exact same MacEffects Lisa 1 listing that I linked to above:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375185053927

Shameless.

stepleton

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 07:29:41 am »

Huh, wow, I'm pretty sure you can see daylight through the upper Twiggy drive opening in this image.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TfcAAOSwE41lCaGe/s-l500.jpg

warmech

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 02:34:34 pm »

I reported the eBay listing as fraudulent and now it appears the auction was "ended by the seller on Sat, Jan 13 at 9:46 AM because there was an error in the listing." Lol.

compu_85

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 02:19:27 pm »

I didn't notice the siping on the repro badges was 90* to the original ones. Good catch!

ried

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 02:54:08 pm »

Yep, one of several key differences that set reproductions apart from the originals. I'm sure MacEffects added the discrepancies so that their reproductions can be easily discerned from the originals upon close inspection.

greniu

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 03:03:23 pm »

I would not be so certain with the statement that horizontal lines are original bezel. Here I found two examples of bezels with vertical lines on Lisa script.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/apple-lisa-0-twiggy-front-bezel-1855151843

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-oem-apple-lisa-0-computer-4591395455

ried

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2024, 06:18:26 pm »

Apologies, I should be more clear. Some of the original bezel badges have horizontal siping and some have vertical. However, all of the reproduction badges (that we know of) have vertical siping. Here's another example of the reproductions:

https://imgur.com/gallery/hBVwMsu

As noted, there are several other key differences. Look closely at the shapes of the letters, the beveled edges, and so on. For example, look at the shape of the "v" where the i meets the s in the script. It's a sharp v in the original badges, and a funky "u" shape in the reproductions. One of many discrepancies that are easy to see, even at a distance.

ried

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 11:15:40 pm »

Interestingly, MacEffects is once again selling one of their reproduction bezels on eBay. This time, it's not attached to a Lisa chassis  :)

Gallery for future reference: https://imgur.com/a/wopV0Ry

Notably, this reproduction also features the exact same marring in the border around their reproduction Lisa badge as the other example in their previous auction. I've circled a couple of the telltale marks below. These imperfections must have been present on the original bezel that they used to make the mold, and all copies likely feature them. Drive numbers are also printed in a thicker, bolder font, and so on.

These won't fool anyone who knows what to look for.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:11:41 pm by ried »

greniu

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 09:22:17 am »

Hi, what do you think about this bezel

ried

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 10:32:43 am »

Hi, what do you think about this bezel

I can say, with certainty, that it was not made by MacEffects.

greniu

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 11:09:27 am »

I can say, with certainty, that it was not made by MacEffects.

Thanks. Does it look like the original one? Is it original in your opinion?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up