LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Once again another Lisa 1 hits the market  (Read 2455 times)

anotherLISAguy

stepleton

Re: Once again another Lisa 1 hits the market
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2024, 01:18:32 pm »

There appears to be a bit of a glut on the market these days with Christie's auctioning a Lisa 1 from Paul Allen's collection / the sad remnants of the Living Computers Museum in Seattle. It looks like Christie's is a bit less optimistic than RR Auction and their $80,000+ estimate; Christie's is guessing $20,000-$30,000:

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/firsts-history-computing-paul-g-allen-collection/apple-lisa-1-microcomputer-143/230081?ldp_breadcrumb=back

Of course, the RR Auction item is working (with one of two Twiggy drives operational); Christie's does not claim this for its item. Somewhat remarkable about that machine is that it looks like the batteries are still fitted!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 01:37:55 pm by stepleton »

anotherLISAguy

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2024, 05:19:04 pm »

Agreed - and thanks for the link and you make some good observations.

Comparatively, the RR Auction offering has many more items - it is a bit of a turnkey collection.
Christies doesn't reveal the twiggy drives, the card cage, cards or show that it is operating.
That will drag down the bidding itself.

The RR offering description seems to be largely a copy and paste from the unit they sold two years ago (from the same neck of the woods) for $94K (?)
What is funny to me is looking through the system images, I'm making mental notes of good and bad things as if examining a painting for faults.
The bagged batteries were interesting, and the office software adds a lot to RR offering - but it is missing the allusive mouse port plastic clip (and glare screen for good measure).
Christie's has the mouse clip but its ports are dirty and corroded (and again no Glare Screen!)

Like my other post, I know my comments are esoteric but isn't that the point of being on a board of people curating and preserving this esoteric hardware we know as Lisa. :)

Either way, RR runs until 8/22 - Christies is much shorter - be curious to see what the buying public thinks these are worth.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 05:33:49 pm by anotherLISAguy »

ried

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 11:02:34 pm »

The RR auction example is rather unique with the QWERTZ keyboard, 220-240v PSU, bagged battery solution (that's a first), and "Burosystem 1.1D" software. Can't be many examples of those Twiggies around!

The Christie's auction has that intriguing box of Twiggies, including the neat-o "Twiggy Alignment Disk." In that box behind it are examples of each Twiggy disk type that I know of:
  • Apple's original purple Lisa-jacketed disk
  • Apple's FileWare brand-jacketed disk
  • 3M's FileWare white-jacketed disk
  • Optima's FileWare green-jacketed disk

Side note for the admins: When I included the umlaut in "Burosystem" I received a database error and was unable to save my post. Just a heads up.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 11:10:27 pm by ried »

anotherLISAguy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 09:06:08 am »

Good observation on the QWERTZ keyboard - I missed that.
The fact RR shows their LISA in a running state is another plus and maybe a reason for the pricing disparency of the Paul Allen/Christies.
The Apple Lisa Serial Tracker project was updated to show some legacy to the RR item and lists at least 23 Lisa 1/5 out there.
Either way, it is interesting to watch from the sideline.

jamesdenton

• Administrator
  • ArcaneByte
    • ArcaneByte
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2024, 09:21:12 am »

Side note for the admins: When I included the umlaut in "Burosystem" I received a database error and was unable to save my post. Just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up. We are aware of an issue with either the forum software or the database format and some unicode characters that result in posting errors. Not sure we can get to it quickly, but being able to reproduce is helpful. Thank you.

stepleton

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2024, 01:29:42 pm »

Well, it looks like the RR Auction estimate was accurate.

anotherLISAguy

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2024, 02:33:48 pm »

Yep, the 30-minute rule is a smart step to ensure eBay sniping doesn't drag down pricing - of course, not being a glut of Lisa 1s helps too.
I see someone bravely threw down a $100 bid on the Christie's L1 - I'd expect those who missed out on RR will try to recapture there.
Though honestly, not seeing the inside hides an actual condition (value) :(
Either way, it is interesting to see how these things pan out and what the market values over the other.

compu_85

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2024, 07:17:36 pm »

It's interesting how many times we've seen the system at RR circulate past...

-J
Pages: [1]   Go Up