What can be done to preserve a working vintage HDD?

From: Jason Perkins <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:05:54 -0400

I'm fortunate (lucky?) enough to have a working Widget disk in my 2/10, and a 5mb Profile as well. The Profile has no bad sectors currently, and after some initial troubles when I first got the machine going the widget has been flawless. I would like to keep both of these disks that way. Besides not moving the machine wile the disks are spinning, and running them periodically, are there any other measures I can take to ensure the disks will keep going? As I understand it both disks will eventually loose their control tracks and quit working because of loss of magnetism. I saw that happen frequently years ago with the MiniScribe disks in Mac SEs, but those were easy to low level format.

Thanks,

-Jason

--

You received this message because you are a member of the LisaList group. The group FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/lisa.html To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To leave this group, send email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist Received on 2010-10-31 19:21:20