Re: Sun remarketing 2M board

From: Lisa2.com <rick_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 18:49:50 -0800 (PST)

Ok,
Here is the manual:
http://www.lisa2.com/Sun2Meg.pdf

Here are my photos (caution: 33 megs!):
http://www.lisa2.com/Sun2Meg.zip

And my findings on the resistor packs (snip from a previous email):

"I pulled my card again, and those mystery red SIP resistor packs (RP3 - RP7) are NOT numbered/labeled anywhere I can see. So I got out my meter...

What I can tell you is that they do NOT appear to be common node resistor packs (like the ones used for SCSI terminators).

They appear to be just 4 individual 35 Ohm resistors in a single package. They tested like this:

Pin 1  <-35 Ohm->  Pin 2
Pin 3  <-35 Ohm->  Pin 4
Pin 5  <-35 Ohm->  Pin 6
Pin 7  <-35 Ohm->  Pin 8

I guess in the days before SMT, this was a way to save space??

Note the wire wrap on the back of my card, I don't know if this is a repair or revision to the board layout, I got the card New from SUN this way.

You must also use the angled 30 pin SIMM sockets (45 degree?) like those used on a Mac Plus. Sockets with the SIMMs at a right angle to the board are to tall and will not physically fit in the lisa.

NOTE: The SIMM's are 256K x 9 bit - [9 chip] (IBM parity type, not 8bit Mac type), and you normally only use 3 banks (1.5 meg) together with an apple 512K in the other mem slot. There is some issues if you don't use at least 1 apple mem card, but I don't remember what it is.

REPEAT: 8 bit wide SIMMs out of Mac will not work! The 9 chip, 9 bit 256K types where hard to find 15 years ago, I don't know where to get them today!"

I hope this helps,
Rick