Re: Kit-Based Lisa

From: Kevin Keith <krfkeith_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:40:49 -0700 (PDT)

Don't worry, I'm up to it!
My ideas on the floppy:
800k flopies (yet alone 400k's) are pretty hard to come by. Not impossible, but kind of a hassle to get. My idea is to use standard PC floppy drives along with some sort of microcontroller. For those familiar with the MiniMig project, this would be similar to the floppy module. Essentially, the drive connects to a board containng some sort of microcontroller (maybe a 6502 for notalgia's sake!) and a ROM. The controller loads, unzips, or whatever the images then loads them to the ROM. The controller then emulates a floppy drive. Thid would speed up the lisa significantly, and two images could be put on a 1.44mb floppy.

The video:
what type of video output does the Lisa have? Is it TTL (I know that the Mac SE used TTL)? I think it would be next to impossible to find a TTL LCD (assuming that is the video output) that supports the Lisa's funky rectangular pixels. I think Ray's idea is the best one.

Othern than that, I may use some programmable logic chips for the components I can't get (like that microcontroller), also the MMU may be put into an FPGA to save space and/or money.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- Received on 2008-03-18 12:42:12