Re: Lisa PDFs at bitsavers.org

From: tommoni <tommoni_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:21:50 +0200

HHello Ray, hello everybody,

a very interesting document this Whopper_ERS_V2.0_Jul83 Some of the described changes of the Lisa seemed to influence the Lisa 2 (especially the described HD-Interface) but the main efforts (reducing the parts and number of boards) seemed to be a uneffordable modification and the posting on page 4, that "total RAM is decreased to 896 kB... programs that work on the Lisa my not work on the Whopper..." finally may have caused a "no way!" decision. Perhaps this is one cause of plural ones, that this Lisa has been never built, although the idea was great, regarding the enchancements, which were described. Some of the ideas (sound generator, all-on-one- board, floppy-controller, phone plug as keyboard connector, serial and mouse connectors in DB format) were found later in the Macintosh. In my opinion the described external PWM-Signal method for the Sony floppy drive has been the best method to save space on a winchester- or floppy-drive; but I never heard, the data value for that (and the sound output, too) to be stored in the video RAM!? I believe also, that one of the authors of this document seemed to have been an Apple II user, cause he or she seemed to be keen on having a lot of expansion slots for additional cards, as proudly described on page 21. Funny is the fact, that the Whopper has been planned with a reduced size of RAM and then got the option to add a RAM-card into the new won additional Slot 4 :-) In fact the Whopper then also would have Lisa-like 3 expansion slots; very strange that in some sentences there are 4MB RAM and in some there are 1MB RAM determined, concerning the unexpanded Whopper without additional RAM-Card

greetings: TOM from Bavaria, the center of europe, the country with the marvellous castles of Koenig Ludwig, the alps and the original Octoberfest in munich