Profile Drive issues (of course)

From: Terry Stewart <terry_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:44:16 +1300

Hi Guys,

Just wonder if any of you have come across this symptom. I decide to buy that ProFile drive I discussed on here earlier. For quite a good price as it was considered broken. If I couldn't fix it at least it could be a decoration.

Anyway, I've found the drive actually does work. But very intermittantly. When I first received it, on switch on it just sat there with the light on. But after spinning for 20 mins or so, a switch on suddently triggered a self-check. I could see stepper lever move round to it's full travel position, then step back to it's resting place.

This was hopeful but booting still didn't work. I usually got an error 83 although on occasions it was an 84 and It's even been an 85. The stepper indicator never moves during this time. It seems to "try" and move. It kind of gives a short clatter or vibration (almost a hard beep sound) but stays in the rest position. The light flickers on and off at this time in an irregular way.

Anyway, after trying about 10 times, during a full switch on/switch off reboot, booting was suddenly successful! This time I could see the stepper indicator flicking around reading tracks at various poistions. Suddenly. There it was! Macworks XL 3.0!! (so that's what was on it)

However, I've only been able to repeat this a few times. Probably only about 3 times in about 40 attempts.

Anyway, as I thought the drive was completely gone, I am a little encouraged in the fact that it does work...very occasionally.

I did try to reinstall MacWorks XL 3.0 but the Lisa told me there was a hard drive error (-93 I think).

Anyone come across this ProFile symptom before and know what it is?

Terry (Tez)