Re: Profile Drive issues (of course)

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 05:28:49 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 21, 10:47 pm, Terry Stewart <te..._at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:

> Interestingly this board is specific Profile 10 MB controller (1984) so
> there is no piggyback on the Z8.

Only the very early boards used the piggyback.

> Interesting comment about the HAL sensor.  On (rare) occasions the drive
> DOES'NT do it's self-check so I might have a look at that.  It involves
> opening up the drive I guess.  I see some large screws there at the top.

NONONO! The sensor is external to the drive mechanism. You can get at it
by removing the electronics board. There may be reasons to open the HDA,
but it should be treated as a "Hail Mary" play. If you don't do it in a
clean room, the liklihood of the drive surviving very long afterwards is
sharply reduced.

> Very tempting but I'll need to do some reading first for I know what I'm
> looking for.  I do have the Apple Profile Repair journal.  I just wish I
> had the software and Apple III to go with it! (-:

If you are referring to the document I think you are, it was never very much help to me.