Successful compilation under LisaEm?

From: Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 11:22:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck compiling Pascal programs using the Workshop under LisaEm 1.2.6 (the latest available version)? I'm running into linker errors when I try to compile fairly trivial programs.

*1. Hello World*

This compiles, links, and runs successfully:

*PROGRAM Hello;*
*BEGIN*

Like all Lisa Pascal programs, it has to be linked against iospaslib.

*2. Using a FOR loop.*

This compiles successfully, but the linker runs into errors:

*PROGRAM Hello;*
*VAR*

*BEGIN*

It doesn't matter what order you give files to the linker in (i.e. [hello.obj, iospaslib.obj] OR [iospaslib.obj, hello.obj]); you still see the following output:

*Reading file: Hello.OBJ*
*Reading file: IOSPASLIB.OBJ*
*Input summary:*

*3. QuickDraw sample code*

Since I'm not really a Pascal programmer, I thought that there might be a chance that my code or my use of the Workshop compilation toolchain was incorrect. Disk 9 of the Pascal Workshop contains two sample programs for demonstrating QuickDraw, including EXEC files that run the build automatically. Here too, when compiling either sample program, the linker encounters errors. The message below is from attempting to compile the program "QD/SAMPLE.TEXT":

*Reading file: QD/SAMPLE.OBJ*
*Reading file: QD/SUPPORT.OBJ*
*Reading file: SYS1LIB.OBJ*

I've tried this with Workshop installations from two different sets of Workshop 3.0 floppy images: the ones available from bitsavers.org and images copied from my own set of Workshop 3.0 floppies. The same thing happens for both. A similar error also occurs even after applying the 3.9 supplement upgrade to the Workshop.

I'm away from my Lisa 2 for the holidays, so I can't try the code on actual hardware, but I'm starting to think that this is a LisaEm problem. Has anyone else successfully built Pascal programs in the Workshop under LisaEm?

Thanks; happy holidays!
--Tom