Daisy Wheel Printer repairs

From: Jason Perkins <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:20:59 -0500

As our equipment gets older we often run into problems the original designers probably never thought of... such is the case with the belt which drives the print head in the daisy wheel printer.

I obtained a DWP years ago, but upon powering it up I discovered a major problem with it: The rubber drive belt had turned to goo, and all the teeth were falling off. It worked just long enough to print one line of text.

I finally decided to start doing repairs on this. By my measurements the belt's teeth have 2mm pitch, 9mm width, and the overall belt is 95cm long.

Here are some pictures I took of the process:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113574813556450463594/AppleDaisyWheelPrinter#

After a little searching, I found a Gates belt that should work, the 2MR-1164-09

http://www.biedlers-belts.com/synchronous-belts/powergrip-gt2-belt/2mr-pitch-9mm-wide/gates-2mr-1164-09-belt.html

I've ordered the belt and will post again once it arrives.

The exact length of the belt is not critical as it gets cut and the ends clamped to the print head.

Sadly the plastic idler pulley has a nice split in it, but I don't think it will make a huge difference in how the printer operates. The pulley on the stepper motor also looks a bit distorted, perhaps from the barbaric way the printer homes the print head... it runs it all the way left until it hits a mechanical stop, stalling the motor!

--

Jason Perkins

You received this message because you are a member of the LisaList group. The group FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/lisa.html To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To leave this group, send email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist ---