A recapping thread

From: Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 21:17:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

Our Lisas are probably all getting to the point where we are starting to think about replacing some (or all!) of their old electrolytic capacitors. I know several of you have done this for power supplies (I'd like to do that, too), and based on some of the things I'm starting to see my own Lisas do (erratic screen dimming on the Lisa 1; some occasional horizontal jitter on the Lisa 2 screen---I'll post about this separately), it seems like some recapping may be in my future.

I thought it would be a good idea now to do a census of electrolytic caps on various Lisa circuit boards. This will make it easy for people who want to recap to make a "shopping list" of all the new capacitors that they might need.

I'd like to invite all of you with Lisas to contribute to this census if you can. The information at the link above shows capacitors observed in some of my own machines' boards only. Many Apple PCBs had several different versions, and some versions may use slightly different capacitors than others. Finally, I can't promise that I've done a perfect job of identifying (or even seeing) all of the caps on my boards, and it would be great to have someone double-check my work against their own machines.

I've collected notes with probably more details than what's required here:

https://github.com/stepleton/lisacapcensus

Please do contribute! If you don't feel like messing with github etc., feel free to send me updates by email, too.

Cheers,
--Tom