Re: Re-Introducing the First, and Fully Functional, Lisa Emulator

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:57:17 -0500

Jerome Vernet (Orange) wrote:
> Ray,
>
> LisaEm is really amazing ! I've installed LOS 3.1, every Lisa Tool,
> MacWork XL on a separate partition. Everything work : wow wow wow !

Thank you! I'm glad it's working for you. Please, do tell me if anything is even slightly annoying or awkward because these should be fixed.
> Although it's slow on my iBook (poor G4.... I will try on my 2xG4 1.25,
> but not SMP optimization, isn't it ?).

It's just a straight compile, no Altivec or multi-core required, although it's possible that other parts of wxwidgets or OS X libraries would help on machines that have those features.
> One thing: I've selected 'French keyboard' in LisaEm preferences, but I
> have a QWERTY keyboard (as usual with emulator: double remapping !!!)
> under LOS or MacOs 4.

You can try the "raw" keyboard setting, but I'm afraid it's untested and might not work, however, if you do so, let me know what bugs you encounter so that I can fix them.
> Can I post a news on a french web site dedicaded to emulator running on
> Mac ?

Absolutely.

One thing, may I ask a favor? If you have a Lisa with a French keyboard, could you take a high resolution photo of its keyboard from directly above?
I would like a future version to have a virtual keyboard, and in the mean time, it would help with the keyboard remapping. (The same request holds for the British, and German keyboards too.)

Also I've found another dumb bug. I used dc42_open instead of dc42_auto_open in floppy.c which means that the two versions of the emulator currently up for download will not open DART images. Also I was mistaken about the speed, I've tried it with the current version of libdc42 that is posted to the downloads section of sunder.net and DART images open rather quickly (less than 5 seconds.)

Sorry for having misspoken. There was also a bug in the unreleased latest lisafsh-tool that I think I just corrected a few minutes ago. I'll likely release this tool tomorrow or thereabouts. It will allow conversion from DART to DiskCopy 4.2. The next release of the emulator will do this automatically. (Insert Homer Simpson "Do'h" sound here.)

Sorry for the confusion with DARTs.

Also, I've been getting more and more requests to get rid of the skins and sounds, so I will either have an option or two separately compiled versions of the emulator. The skins do impose an extra layer of blits, so getting rid of them will speed up the display a little bit more. Received on 2007-01-29 19:57:18