Re: LisaEm 1.2.2 released - bugfixes

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:30:57 -0500

Kallikak wrote:
> I used to get much smoother mouse movement in RC1 and earlier. Maybe
> this was because of being able to specify the refresh rate? Is there
> a particular reason that was removed from the menu? Is there another
> way to control it? Or maybe there is another reason I am getting so
> much jitter now...

I'll see what I can do about this. Can you remind me again, what kind of machine you're
running LisaEm on? I guess this also partially depends on the video card performance as
well.

The reason for the removal is that the whole video drawing system has been overhauled.

The code from RC1 and earlier no longer exists as it is extremely expensive on every
machine. The new code runs reasonably well on the machines I've tested it on, which by
no means is every machine in the universe. :)

Some of the code that selects the refresh rate still exists in the current version, but it's
not accessible. I'll see about turning on the menu options and see how it behaves... That
might help things out on your machine, let me know if it does, and at what settings.

The older code actually repainted the whole entire screen at the refresh rate, which moved
roughly 3MB 60X a second (or at whatever refresh frequency was used.) Now, some
older machines have a way to move memory around quite quickly, either via DMA, or
the video hardware path, so it may seem a lot more responsive there, but not all of them
do, and that code ran horribly on newer machines.

On the Mac end of things, lowest end machine I've used LisaEm on is a G4 running
at 500MHz and it is barely usable there - it certainly isn't smooth at all. It runs a lot
better on machines better than 1GHz, specifically, I've tested it on a Mac Mini
1.4GHz.

> Also, Triple has been mis-spelt as Tripple in one of the menu items
> for a while.

Ok, that'll be fixed in the next release, so I've updated the code. Probably will be in a month
or two. Received on 2007-11-13 10:31:00