Re: Lisa 1 on Ebay

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:22:06 -0500

John Musbach wrote:
> ROFL, plus $250 shipping. Amazing that someone purchased this item for
> that much money--especially in these hard economic times. What makes
> the lisa 1 so special? The SE/30 is one of the best compact macs, and
> even with things like a xceed grey scale card I have yet to see it
> sell anywhere near this price.

Hello HexStar,

Welcome back. :-)

So Lisa 1's are extremely rare because most of them were upgraded to Lisa 2's - that's what makes them so valuable. At the time, most of their owners were glad to be rid of the Twiggy drives which were very unreliable. Of course, when you're a historian or a collector, in which case the rarer the items, the more valuable. Historically, fully working Lisa 1's go for $10K+, so $12K isn't out of the ordinary considering inflation and the number of dollars Uncle Sam is printing (well creating electronically, but that's another discussion for another place.)

As for SE/30's, yes, they are very cool machines. I wish I had one. I do have an SE, but it's not the same.

Of course a Lisa and an SE/30 are completely different beasts. The only things they have in common are that Apple made them, and they're based on Motorola CPU's. Remember that the Lisa is a workstation class machine with multiple processors and has more in common with a mini than a desktop such as the SE/30. They do run completely different operating systems, though of course MacWorks allows MacOS to run on the Lisa, but as it's got a completely different architecture, it's not quite the same thing.

Certainly my MacBook Pro runs rings around both the Lisa and the SE/30, and is one of the best notebooks ever built - but it doesn't mean I wouldn't want to have all three said machines, or that I'd say that the Lisa (or the SE/30) wasn't special.

btw, is your archive still online somewhere? it is/was a valuable resource. Let me know and I'll add a link to it in the FAQ. Received on 2010-01-19 12:22:07