Re: Apple Lisa data on Wolfram Alpha

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:07:45 -0400

On 10/16/2010 10:21 AM, Shirl Casner wrote:
> ]]]
> The only point I'm still stuck on is the audio. Can anybody clarify if
> the Lisa actually used the Motorola 3417 chip I saw mentioned in the
> 1981 Lisa Hardware Manual (but not in the 1983)? Or is it just logic
> chips driving a speaker, like I suspect it actually is?
> [[[
>
> My understanding is the Lisa's audio capabilities are just memory mapped i/o to generate sound. No speical audio chip was used.
It was square wave output with a D2A for volume control on the VIA shift register. (same as on the commodore pets, funny enough, but with a much better speaker, plus the volume control.)

There was an add on card later on to provide Macintosh like sound for MacWorks, but LOS did not benefit from this. Received on 2010-10-18 16:07:47